26 April 2009

Review-The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan



"PERCY JACKSON is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the page's of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.
Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch a thief: he must comes to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves."





Okay before you read this remember that I LOVE anything that has to do with ancient history or mythology, especially Greek.
Now, this book was different, which got bonus points from me. I'm so used to the Greek Gods and Goddesses being mean, vindictive, vengeful, and jealous (because of the Dark-Hunter series) that reading this version of them took a little getting used to. But once I did it was kind of refreshing and I loved the book. The world Riordan created is very interesting. And even though it was about a 12 year-old, it didn't seem kid-ish, so once again bonus points.
I didn't know the ending, even when they all but said who was behind it, until they actually said who was behind it. I was like, "Wow Amelia, good job. He just said everything you needed to know who it was and you still didn't guess until the fight? What's wrong with you?" I'm going to blame it on something... As soon as I find something plausible to blame it on.
The only thing I can think of to complain about is that at the beginning, no one was telling Percy the whole truth. It bugged the hell out of me, but other than that I really can't complain.
Grover was a sweetheart, Annabeth annoyed me at first, but as I got to know her that annoyance died down. Mr. D was hilarious, and once again felt bad for Hades. Can't some cut the poor guy a break?


And a little question for you guys. Which rating system would you like better. My usual 1-5 heart and cross bone thingies or a grading system? See with the 1-5 heart and cross bone thingy you just know my overall rating, and with the grading system you'll see what aspects about the book I liked and which ones I didn't. Which I liked more than the other, etc.
It's your choice since I already know how much I like it and what I liked about it.

4 comments:

Ren @ All By Myshelf said...

I love that series!!! Don't worry, I didn't figure out who was behind it all until the very end, too (after the Oracle's prophesy, I kept waiting for Grover or Annabeth to betray him).

thebluerose said...

I love the series a lot. It's one of those that appeals to any gender. I can't wait until the last book comes out. =D

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I really like this series, and I agree with lalaland that either gender really seems to enjoy it. The first two in the series have won our state reading awards. I'm really looking forward to the movie.

Skye dM said...

haha. unfortunately for me, I read the first book after the second (it was a birthday prezzie), and I didn't have the chance to guess who it was. oh well, this series is amazing, not so much the last one, though, probably because each of the books have symmetry, and endings cannot be symmetrical to previous books. They have to fizzle and sparkle, and outshine the rest. Know what I mean? Okay, I'll stop talking.