13 March 2009

Review- Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

Summary:
" 'My parents suck ass. Banning me from the phone and restricting my computer privileges are the most tyrannical parental gestures I can think of. Don’t they realize that Hope’s the only one who keeps me sane? . . . I don’t see how things could get any worse.'

When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyper-observant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?

A fresh, funny, utterly compelling fiction debut by first-time novelist Megan McCafferty, Sloppy Firsts is an insightful, true-to-life look at Jessica’s predicament as she embarks on another year of teenage torment--from the dark days of Hope’s departure through her months as a type-A personality turned insomniac to her completely mixed-up feelings about Marcus Flutie, the intelligent and mysterious “Dreg” who works his way into her heart. Like a John Hughes for the twenty-first century, Megan McCafferty taps into the inherent humor and drama of the teen experience. This poignant, hilarious novel is sure to appeal to readers who are still going through it, as well as those who are grateful that they don’t have to go back and grow up all over again."


OMIGOD! This book is hands down my favorite book ever!
I swear reading this book felt like reading my diary. Jessica Darling is so much like me (or I'm so much like her) it was scary. There are differences obviously, but personality wise its like we're twins. Kind of creepy when I started guessing what she'd say or do, and was right.

Things I loved about this book:
It had cussing-I know that its a weird reason to like a book, but I'm tired of reading YA chicklit books that act like cussing, sex, and drugs don't exist. This book was real.
The characters- All the characters had distinct personalities. You might get the Bubblegum Bimbos mixed up at first, but even they had their differences. Scotty was awesome. I love how he says "gee dee" or "eff" instead of the cuss words. Its so cute. Marcus Flutie was so cool. How he views the world and the school and how he makes Jessica realize so much made me love him.

Things I didn't exactly like but not complaining about:
That Hope wasn't in it. I mean it makes sense cause she lives in Tennessee but I was expecting a phone call convo or something. And we only read Jessica's emails to Hope. Not the ones Hope sends to Jessica.
Bethany. Could not stand her. I want to jump in the book and smack her every time she spoke.
The Counselor was kind of on love/hate relationship with me. I couldn't stand her but I loves the fact that she (can't remember her name) reminds me of Ms. Pigpen (my dad and I came up with that nickname for my school "counselor") She was just as stupid and ignorant and trying to be hip as mine was. Ugh she was such a loser.

I would recommend this book to anyone who doesn't mind cussing. I ordered 1-4 as soon as I finished it. They'll be here on the 20th. Ahh I have to wait 7 days! If anyone has read 1-4 can you email me? I have some questions and I don't want to give anything away by asking them here.
Megan McCafferty is an amazing author and I can't believe I didn't read this book when it first came out.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

1 comments:

The Book Obsession said...

Great review! I'll definatly be picking up this novel soon.