25 March 2009

Review-Across the Pond by Storyheart

"Finding himself packed off to friends in the USA, fifteen-year-old English born Fred Squire is not happy.

Then he meets Brittany.

Struggling with his feelings for Brit and the language, Fred is further confused when he meets Brit's flirtatious friend, Angel.

Escaping from a confrontation with Steve Harris, the neighborhood bully, Brit tells Fred her dark secret about Harris, and Fred's world is turned upside down.

Life continues to throw Fred a curveball when he catches a baseball worth a small fortune. Further run-ins with Harris, a crazy family barbecue, and a chase through a mall all add to Fred's American adventure.

'Brit and her Brit' know that their young love will be followed by heartache when Fred has to return to England but not before some final twists in the tale."


I liked this book. I don't know if its worth 17.99 considering its paperback and only 114 pages though (Storyheart left me a comment saying you can get a signed copy from him for $15 so if you're looking to buy I'd do that). I liked the characters and story line, but there was one thing that irked me. The fact that Brit and Fred "fell in love" in like a day or two. It didn't make sense how their love just popped up out of nowhere, it reminded me of when 3rd graders say they're in love with their boyfriend/girlfriend that they've just met. Other than that I don't really have a problem with the story. Its a quick read, but I devoured it all the same. Steve was a jerk and once scientists invent a machine to bring fictional characters to life I will bring Steve out and punch him :). I loved Brit's parents, they were the kind of parents a lot of kids want. Another cool thing about it is because of a school assignment Fred has, you get to learn some English terms. Which may come in handy if you ever find yourself in England or meet an English person.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

I want to thank Storyheart for sending me a copy I enjoyed it. Thanks!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed the book, us English can fall in love very quickly if we only have a limited time lol. Honest the falling in love almost at first site is something that has happened to me in the past a few times..

I might even get to write a follow up to Steve Harris. But beware, I think his Aunt might appear before he does...

Thanks again for you honest review, these mean a lot.. As for the price... I agree.... Amazon keep putting the price up, I can't stop them. But people can get a signed copy from me for $15

Storyheart

Unknown said...

I thought the exact same thing about their relationship.

Unknown said...

Been trying to think all day what it reminds me off falling for somebody in such a short time.

"Holiday Romance"

Those were the day lol

Thanks again, I have added the site and the comments into today's blog

Storyheart