16 December 2008

Review-Lost It by Kristen Tracy *****

"What would you do...
....If your best friend was plotting the annihilation of a small, furry, neighborhood poodle? Or if you parents up and moved to an Outward Bound-type survival camp in the middle of the desert? How about if you grandmother bought you new bras and underware-and you actuallu though they were a teensy bit, umm, sexy?
Most people would not react well.
Tess Whistle's junioryear of high school is off to a fairly bizarre start. One might even say her life is spiraling out of control. But with her sense of humor and her first real boyfriend on her arm, Tess is dealing with the ridiculous twists quite well, thankyouverymuch.
Just wait until her shoes explode"

This book was unusal. I don't really know how to explain what was unusal about it. Maybe the wiritng style or what it was about. In any case, it was a very good read.
I have to admit sometimes Tess pissed me off. I wanted to jump in the book and smack her, but Zena (her best friend) beat me to it. Just her attitude about and outlook on somethings made me mad. Ignorance, naivety, or whatever you want to call it annyed me. Not her fault butI still wanted to smack some sense into her. I mean 16 years olds should know what a hymen is and that having sex would break it. Especially before they have sex. The thing is, I couldn't really be that annoyed at her because I can't tell you how many of my friends that wouldn't and didn't know about stuff like that if it weren't for me. That's when I realized, I didn't want to smack Tess, I wanted to smack her parents. They are what I like to call "freaky Christians". (I have absolutely nothing against Christians so don't take offense to what I'm about to say) Freaky Christians are, by my definition: The Christians who won't get their kids the medical help they need because they think praying will help them. The people who think "No I won't teach my kid about sex because then they'll know about it and then *GASP* have it"! I can't tell you how many pregnacy scares my friends have had and I was the one to go buy a pregnancy test and take them to the doctor for birth control and so forth because they couldn't talk to their parents, because their parents still thought their kids thought babies came from the stork!
With stuff like sex, drugs, and alcohol ignorance is NOT bliss. And the Freaky Christian parents in the world need to realize that. Anyways back to the book...
I enjoyed it, I really did. One of the more "real" books I've read in awhile. By "real" I mean at some point I thought, "Wow, it's like this could be (Enter someone's name I know)." Sometimes Ben annoyed me, sometimes Zena annoyed me, or when she blew up the poodle, made me downright mad. I mean there are far better uses of fireworks than that, but I think I loved that aspect of the book. Sometimes you get tired of the perfect guys who falls for the perfect girls, or the perfect guys who fall for the normal/average/imperfect girl and vice versa. Sometimes you want to read a book that, like I said, seems more "real". Lost it is definitely that book. I haven't doen this in awhile but I'm going to give it FIVE Stars! Congrats to Kristen Tracy, you're among many great authors.

0 comments: