18 February 2009

Review - Flipped by Wendelin van Draanen ****

Flipped Pictures, Images and PhotosThe first time she saw him, she flipped. The first time he saw her, he ran. That was the second grade, but not much has changed by the seventh. She says: “My Bryce. Still walking around with my first kiss.” He says: “It’s been six years of strategic avoidance and social discomfort.” But in the eighth grade everything gets turned upside down. And just as he’s thinking there’s more to her than meets the eye, she’s thinking that he’s not quite all he seemed.

I first read this book in middle school and hated it. It wasn't because I thought it was badly written or anything it was just that I didn't enjoy reading it. See at my elementary and middle schools we had to read so many books a month, semester, year, the deadlines and we different for every teacher. Most of the time we didn't get to choose the book we read and we could only read so many pages or chapter a day. Once again it depended on the teacher. We were tested everyday or week and what we were supposed to read and they'd have trick questions to see if we read ahead. Reading like that wasn't enjoyable for me and it ruined so many great books, Flipped being one of them. When I started home schooling my dad said, "I don't care what you read or when you finish it or how much you read a day. Just read. I want you to see that reading is fun not something you should be graded on." As long as a read something everyday, whether it be comic books, magazines, newspapers whatever, I'd get an A for the day. Dad's plan worked. I realized that reading was fun and then started reading so much I finished books in a day. I read so much I didn't do my other work so then I was only allowed to read after I finished my other work lol.
I don't know why but one day this book just came to me and I was like "Huh, maybe I should re-read it". So I bought a copy and read it again and loved it. Anyways I believe I'm supposed to be reviewing...

I LOVE this book. It really shows you how although something might be obvious to you, it might not be obvious to someone else. And that anything and everything could be misunderstood. And that the phrase " 'Assume' make and an ass out of you and me" is very true.
It all started when Juli tries to help Bryce and his dad move boxes and they just see her as an annoyance. Then there's the sycamore tree, the chickens, and don't even get my started on the eggs. This definitely isn't the kind of book that had potential and the author ruined it, its a book that had potential and the author exceeded it. If I decided to write everything I love about this book on this post I'd just be writing the book. If I keep going I'll start repeating myself and you already know I think it's great so why don't you pick up and copy and see for yourself.
Thanks to help from Bookworm Extraordinaire I'm going to use pics for my rating system. She uses hearts the Story Siren uses stars, I haven't figured out what I'm going to do but I'll think of something nifty. Until then
Flipped gets 4 **** stars.

See you next time.


Comments? Suggestions? Complaints? Requests? Then tell me otherwise I can't do much about it.

Peace
Love
and Books,
Amelia

0 comments: