28 September 2008

Interview with Ellen Schreiber

Ellen Schreiber is the author of Teenage Mermaid and the Vampire Kisses series. Click on the title of this blog to see her site.

1. What's the inspiration behind Teenage Mermaid?

I was sitting with my mom and we were discussing the fact that I loved mermaids when I was growing up. Then I said, “I was a teenage mermaid.” And we both thought it was a fun title. So I began it from that conversation.

2. What made you want to write a series about vampires?

I wanted to write about the idea of the romantic vampire--one who needs another for eternity, without the gore.

3. How long ago did you get the idea and start writing Vampire Kisses?

Around 1999 and I finished it over the summer of that year.

4. Is there anything you can tell me about Royal Blood and Love Bites?

Royal Blood is about Alexander’s parents arriving in Dullsville. I’m still working on Love Bites. :)

5. What can you tell me about the other vampire series you're planning?

It’s about a girl who is a vampire.

6. Where any of your characters based on people you know?

Aunt Libby is a combination of my Aunt Esther and my friend Andrea who is an actress.

7. Are there any rituals you need to do before you can write? Like listen to a certain type of music, be in complete silence, sit outside, etc.

I don’t have any rituals per se. But sometimes I put my laptop on a spider web tablecloth or placemat. It helps get me in the mood.

8. What do you do to get over writer's block?

I don’t usually get it, but if I need some inspiration, I go for a walk, drive, or watch a movie.

9. Do you just start writing when you have an idea or do you make an outline then work around that?

I only use an outline when I have to show one to the publishers. Otherwise, I just sit down and write. But when I do the outline, I write it the same way as my novels--organically.

10. What was your favorite book as a teen and now? Favorite author?

I hate to admit but I rarely read when I was a teen. I always felt forced to read in high school and it turned me off to reading. I did like a Wrinkle in Time, which I read on my own. Of course, my favorite author now is my brother, Mark.

11. Other than your great books, do you have any recommendations?

Sure. Starcrossed by Mark Schreiber. It’s very hip and edgy. :)

0 comments: