13 March 2009

Review-Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

"Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared.

Once upon a time, my name was not Alice.

Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was.

When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends — her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over.

Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her.

This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget."

I don't really know how to review this book, but here's my best try.
It's wonderfully written and an incredibly sad story. It's powerful and something you couldn't forget if you tried. It's also addicting in a way. You want to stop reading cause it only gets worse, but you want to keep reading cause you hope, in the end, it'll all turn out okay. You have to know how Alice's story ends.
You'll hate it because it makes you realize the kind of cruelty and evil humans are capable of. You'll hate it because now you know, really know what someone could be going through right now. You'll hate it because it opens your eyes. Even though you might feel all of that, in the end I don't think you'll regret reading it.
I don't know why anyone loves this book. I don't know if anyone will admit to loving such a sad story. I love this book. Why would I love reading about something so real, so terrifying, so heartbreaking? I don't know.
It's written in a way to paint the picture in your head, you know what's going on, even though the book doesn't come out and say exactly what happens. It doesn't describe anything explicitly. It's written in a very unique style, like I said it doesn't describe in terrifying detail what's going, but you know.
I really don't know what else to say. I'm not going to recommend it, but I'm not going to say don't read it. Some people need to read this book, some people want to keep their eyes closed and pretend things like this don't happen. So this choice is yours. Are you going to read it?

I'm also not going to rate this book. I don't think book can be rated. I thank Elizabeth Scott for writing this. You did a wonderful job.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great review, you make it sound like a horror film, where you hide under the covers but peep over as you don't want to miss anything.

The book sounds great and one that I am sure loads will want to read, riveting I think the word is. Thank you for a great review of the book.
Storyheart

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Your review for this is perfect! When I read it I had the exact feelings. It leaves a lump in your throat and makes it hard to go to sleep that night. Elizabeth Scott is one author that keeps surprising me.

--Amber

Ashley said...

I reallllly want this. Great review!